- Canada in the Making (In English and en français) The History of Canada through the men and women who made the nation; focuses on Constitutional History, Aboriginal History, Pioneers and Immigrants. This is an excellent source of primary documents.
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online (In English and en français) Biographies of Canadians who died between 1000-1930.
- Government of Canada History Page (In English and en français) Links to other history sites including A People's History, Women in History, the Canadian Military History Gateway, Canadian Heroes Fact and Fiction, and Recognising Our History (an overview of historic sites, persons, events).
- Canadian Museum of Civilization (In English and en français)Lots of different resources and formats on Canadian History including video clips, photos, oracles, and interactive displays. Check out the Resource links in their Explore and Education section.
- Aboriginal Canada Portal (In English and en français) First Nations, Inuit and Métis online resources, government programs and services. Topics include: National and Aboriginal Organizations, Economic Development and Business, Claims and Treaties, Education, Employment, Environment and Natural Resources, Health and Social Services, Housing and Infrastructure, Justice and Policing, Language Heritage and Culture, Research Statistics and Maps.
- HPL Mi'kmaq Resources : includes biographies, arts and culture, languages, history, justice, Mi'kmaq today. There are also reading lists, links to digital collections and online resources.
- CanadaInfo This site contains the usual information on Canadian History but also has some interesting and unusual info, such as: Territorial Evolution of Canada via maps, info on the Patron Saint of Canada, Canadian Embassies, Security and Defense, and musical sheets for Canadian songs such as O Canada!
- Virtual Museum of Canada (In English and en français) An endless source of discoveries that brings together Canada Museums in a virtual world. Includes virtual galleries, image galleries, experimental labs and a section called my VMC where you can create your own virtual museum.
- Statistics Canada (in English and en français)Contains lots of stats on practically everything to do with Canada. Also has unique searches such as Community Profiles where typing in the community name can get statistics on population, household statistics, immigration, and more.
- African Canadian OnlineThere are sections on film, theatre, music, literature, visual art, dance, culture, and links to other great sites, such as: The Black Cultural Centre of Nova Scotia, Black Theatre, Sports: the Black Ice Project, Canada’s largest Ethnic Newspaper: Shar.
- Black History Canada (in English and en français)Historica Dominion Institute's history of Canada's Black community. Contains sections on profiles, events, arts and culture, and timeline. Covers various topics under headings such as Enslavement, Black Settlement in Early Canada, Forgotten Stories, Caribbean and African Immigration, Equity and Human Rights, Identity and Assimiliation, Black Contributions, The Arts, and Urban Centres.
© 2013 Halifax Public Libraries